As a community service we are re-posting the newsletter from the Washington State Commission on African American Affairs. To receive the newsletter log on to: http://caa.wa.gov/index.shtml
The Commission serves as the official state representative of the African American community—advising the Governor, Legislature and state agencies regarding policy development and implementation. The commission also works to establish relationships with local governments and private sector organizations that promote equal opportunity and benefits for African-Americans. Peruse our newly commissioned report
Public Commission Meeting
Friday, January 8, 2016, 1 pm to 4 pm
General Administration Bldg. Auditorium, 210 11th Ave SW, Olympia, Washington.
SCHOLARSHIPS, INTERNSHIPS & EDUCATION
View a complete list of scholarship opportunities and college prep information on our website
Unfortunately, there are scams even when searching for a scholarship. You should never spend money on a fee to find a scholarship or complete forms and a legitimate scholarship would never ask for your bank account, credit card number or Pin number. Learn more about scholarship scams.
The YWCA of Olympia’s Girls Without Limits! program seeks a part-time intern. GWOL has served hundreds of girls by providing camps and afterschool programs that promote confidence, skill building, career awareness, and curiosity in science, technology, engineering, and math. Interested parties should submit a resume and cover letter to Rachel Greene, GWOL! Program Facilitator, at [email protected]
Search for federal jobs at USAJOBS.gov
Bates Technical College – various job opportunities atwww.bates.ctc.edu/jobs
Clark College — Assistive Technology/ IT Accessibility Specialist. View all openings here or at www.clark.edu
Community Colleges of Spokane search listings here
Highline College: a number of full and part-time positions on the HR Job Opportunities webpage. Now hiring for Graduate Program Coordinator, Public Safety Officer and two Community & Employment Services Program Specialists
The Matt Griffin YMCA in SeaTac seeks a Director of Member Experience
SoundTransit — view various openings here including Architect, Construction Manager and Marketing Coordinator
Seattle Central College Scholarship Manager recruitment closing 12/31
Senior Accountant needed Regular Part Time (20-30 hrs. per week) for well-established CPA Tax business located in lower Queen Anne (Seattle). Competitive pay and perks. Send resume and inquiries to Dennis Loney atden[email protected] or 425.239.6299
Treehouse, a King county organization providing support for foster care youth invites candidates to apply for the positions of Chief Financial Officer and Program Administrative Coordinator.
United Way of King County view Community Impact Manager; Associate Director of Individual Giving and Associate Director of Public Relationsrecruitments. Associate Director of Individual Giving
Washington State Association for Justice opening for Executive Director
Washington State University Careers—searchable listings found here
YouthCare, the largest agency in the Seattle, King County area that serves homeless and unstably housed youth is recruiting for a Director of Employment and Education
State of Washington: Search for jobs at careers.wa.gov. New openings include:
- The Attorney General’s Office new recruitment for a Confidential Secretary in Seattle and two Legal Office Assistant positions located inTacoma and Seattle
- Department of Health searching for an Assistant Secretary for the Division of Environmental Public Health. Position is open until filled but first round of interviews begin December 21, 2015; Health Services Consultant 3—there are 9 project positions available for this recruitment. Posting closes 12/31/15.
- Department of Social and Health Services Lead Program Manager (12572), Prevention System Development Manager – (12772), Deputy Regional Administrator—region 2 (non-perm 12897)
- Health Care Authority recruitment: Safety & Wellness Manager
- Military Department:
- Office of Financial Management has two State Financial Consultant positions.
- Office of Minority and Women’s Business Enterprises Executive Director recruitment. Application packet should be sent to Kym Ryan, Office of the Governor, PO Box 40002, Olympia, WA 98504-002 or[email protected]. Closes 1/5/16.
- OSPI new opportunity posted for Administrative Assistant 2—Child Nutrition division and K-12 Computer Science Program Specialist (project)
- Washington Courts – Follow this link for current openings.
County & City Employment Links
King County – view all current King County careers, including internships.Pierce County Snohomish County Spokane County Thurston County Yakima County City of Seattle
City of Tacoma City of Everett City of Vancouver City of SpokaneCity of Lynnwood
Scammers, pretending to be from the IRS, are trying to steal your money!
Victims are told they owe money to the IRS and it must be paid promptly through a pre-loaded debit card or wire transfer. If the victim refuses to cooperate, they are then threatened with arrest, deportation or suspension of a business or driver’s license. In many cases, the caller becomes hostile and insulting. Victims may also be told they have a refund due to try to trick them into sharing private information.
If the phone isn’t answered, the scammers often leave an “urgent” callback request.
Don’t fall victim! The IRS states they will never:
1) call to demand immediate payment, nor will the agency call about taxes owed without first having mailed you a bill;
2) demand that you pay taxes without giving you the opportunity to question or appeal the amount they say you owe;
3) require you to use a specific payment method for your taxes, such as a prepaid debit card;
4) ask for credit or debit card numbers over the phone; or
5) threaten to bring in local police or other law-enforcement groups to have you arrested for not paying.
New Year Resolution Run
If a healthier you is one of your resolutions, take part in the FREE Resolution Run in Tacoma January 1, 2016! Bring your friends and the kids!
In Tacoma, the 1-mile run/walk begins at 11AM at the Point Defiance Boat Launch—5912 N. Waterfront Dr. Tacoma, 98407. There will be a free Polar Bear plunge afterwards. The race is not timed and participants can sign up by Dec. 30 by calling Metro Parks at 253-305-1000.
Have a safe and happy new year!